Overview of role
This role exists to ensure the deployment of, and day-to-day running of the college Cloud and Virtualisation services are delivered to a high standard and in accordance with defined service level agreements. It includes proactive management and maintenance of all aspects of the College Cloud and Virtualisation platforms, adoption of new services into production and responding to incidents and service requests. The role also includes continual service improvement ensuring that the college has appropriate and available Cloud and Virtualisation services to support its ongoing needs.
- Responsible for the successful delivery of Cloud and Virtualisation services within a Service Management framework and in line with the agreed college standards and Service Levels.
- Responsible for managing the resolution of major incidents and any escalated issues on the Cloud and Virtualisation Platforms.
- Responsible for supporting the delivery of technological change across the Cloud and Virtualisation Platforms.
- Responsible for supporting the security, resilience, backup and monitoring of the college Cloud and Virtualisation platforms.
- Represent the Cloud and Virtualisation team in Change Advisory Board meetings, and Daily Service Reviews.
- Responsible for identifying and undertaking Service Improvements.
- Responsible for identifying opportunities to reduce environmental impact and implementing improvements.
- Responsible for working closely with the other teams within IT to provide an excellent IT Service.
- Responsible for contributing to proposed solutions to ensure they are fit for purpose and provide optimal value for money.
- Responsible for the adoption into service of new solutions ensuring operational suitability.
- Responsible for responding to customer improvement activity.
- Working closely with 3rd parties to successfully deliver Cloud Services.
- To deliver Cloud and Virtualisation Services in line with the agreed service levels.
- To ensure all Cloud and Virtualisation Services are maintained to the correct technical and security best practice specifications.
- Be a stakeholder in determining whether a new release, affecting a service in production, is ready for promotion.
- Possess a detailed understanding for all King’s College London’s Cloud and Virtualisation platforms and the associated infrastructure.
- To operate in line with the College IT Operating Model and Values and to promote these within the Platforms team.
- Contribute with the design and delivery of updates to the Cloud and Virtualisation environment.
- To drive operational excellence across the Cloud and Virtualisation services.
Communication & networking:
- To operate as a member of the Cloud and Virtualisation team, representing the team across many forums, both internal and external.
- Develop and maintain collaborative and inclusive relationships with peers, key College stakeholders, management, 3rd parties and colleagues.
- Utilise effective communication skills within the Cloud and Virtualisation Services team to ensure that objectives, strategies, accountabilities, and objectives are clearly understood.
Decision making, planning & problem solving:
- To develop and continually improve the College Cloud and Virtualisation services.
- To deliver statistical information about Cloud and Virtualisation services leading to improved services.
- Ensure the root cause of all Cloud and Virtualisation P1, P2 and escalated incidents are obtained and actively seek to eliminate such root causes through a practice of continuous improvement.
- Identify and implement service improvements for Cloud and Virtualisation services that optimise costs, resources and service delivered.
- Work with the Cloud and Virtualisation Manager to create a forward plan of activities and resources and ensure these are implemented.
Architectural and Service delivery:
- Adhere to a best practice Service Management framework
- Ensure that user experience and satisfaction is at the forefront of all activities.
- Drive customer satisfaction to over 90% and ensure SLA attainment is consistently above minimum requirements for the Cloud and Virtualisation services.
Analysis and research:
- Keep abreast of changing trends and market developments of current and future technologies.
- Identify new Cloud and Virtualisation technologies that can provide benefit to the College.
Key skills and experience required
(E) – Essential
(D) – Desirable
- Education to degree standard and/or equivalent qualifications/ experience (D)
- Experience in supporting secure cloud solutions based on Microsoft Azure cloud platform. (E)
- Experience of migrating existing on premises services to a Microsoft Azure environment (D)
- Experience with working with hybrid backup technologies (D)
- ITIL Foundation qualification (D)
- Experience of working in an Agile environment (D)
- Microsoft Certified Azure Administrator Associate (E)
- In-depth expertise in Microsoft Azure environments (E)
- Demonstrated experience in the deployment, configuration and support of Microsoft Azure based IaaS/PaaS environments (E)
- Experience of using Azure DevOps for deployments of code/features (E)
- Good knowledge of PowerShell scripting, JSON and ARM templating. (E)
- Good knowledge of deploying and maintaining IaaS/PaaS ARM Templates in large environments. (E)
- Experience of deploying and maintaining a windows virtual desktop environment (D)
- Knowledge and experience of deploying SQL or other database technologies (PaaS / IaaS) in a cloud environment (D)
- Knowledge of Rubrik cloud data management solution (D)
- Experience of maintaining web services in a cloud environment (D)
- Good knowledge of IT Security protocols, processes, policies and standards
- Experience of planning, managing and execution of project tasks (D)
- Experience of deploying & maintaining Linux based solutions in a cloud environment (D)
- Involvement in implementing IT security policy and standards (D)
- Knowledge of IT service management, including change and incident management (E)
- Demonstration of the technical skills needed to handle innovation and change resulting from the implementation of new ICT solutions (E)
- Experience of working with ITIL based Service processes and functions including Service Desk and Service Process Managers (D)
- Excellent knowledge of ICT technical standards (E)
- Experience of working with enterprise scale applications, infrastructure and software (D)
- In-depth understanding of complex technical issues (E)
- Well-developed technical skills, with particular emphasis on advanced troubleshooting and technical best practice (E)
- Demonstrated flexibility and positive attitude towards implementation of technical services in a fast-paced environment with inherent risks and many stakeholders with differing views of success (E)
- Proven ability to manage a set of complex operational services (E)
- Ability to identify and manage priorities (E)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (E)
- Excellent relationship and interpersonal skills (E)
- Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audience (E)
- Innovative, positive, and proactive approach to work (E)
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff at all levels (E)
- Willingness to update professional knowledge and a commitment to continuous improvement (E)
- Good standard server-based skillset (Windows and Linux) (E)